Saturday, June 6

Callahan Original

The Chicken Coop is done! With only one major setback, my mismeasured roof... totally my fault, grrrrr. To regroup from my flub and stay on my strict budget, I ended up with a wood slat roof and actually really love it!! I didn't do too bad as chief architect, but the HUGE truth is I couldn't have done it without my husband. For such a small structure, there was some heavy lifting and he was wonderful being the 'muscles' of the construction crew and letting me be creative.

This coop should get better and better as it ages. A tad prestine now, I'm sure the chickens will do a fabulous job roughing it up for me, real quick!! I love the arched door and the hardware, my faves. I also think the front shutters are precious. So do you want a tour?

This is the interior. Notice the yellow paint that I got for $5 on mismatch table at Lowes. These are the 3 perches and the little door that can be raised and lowered to let the chickens outside to their run.

Lots and lots of nesting boxes. I splurged on these, in fact I had to get really creative on other items to stay on budget.

My perches and perch brackets were all nature provided, aka FREE!

Here's the outside 'plank'... do not know what its official name is... Ty just calls it the plank, so it is!

Here is the backside. I went cheapskate and used fencing wood instead of the cedar shakes. There is a large window with shutters, there is great ventilation in the coop along with the front window.

The chickens were ooohhhhing and aaahhing right away. Mr. Roo seemed especially impressed... a rockin' new pad for him and his ladies.

For now we have this temporary outside run for the chickens. Eventually... there's that word again... we will have a fence around the coop and the chickens can free range. So just a couple more weeks and we should be getting fresh eggs, yippee! One major project completed and only 1 MEEEEllion more to go!

12 comments:

Lisha said...

Where did you find that great hardware? The coop is fabulous, but what else could we expect coming from our favorite designer/landscaper/architect?!!

MrsMama said...

Wow - nicely done! You should feel very proud. May many fresh eggs come your way. :)

Cari said...

So, so, so cute! I want one, um, minus the chickens. Heehee!

danakat said...

I don't have enough adjectives to rave over this latest Dawn-genius!!!! My hero.

Beth said...

Very cute! I want you to do one in my yard for Addie to play in... :)

kmmclain said...

You did a fabulous job! The chickens are very lucky. Enjoy the eggs!

Quincy Sorensen said...

My jaw is still hanging. The most stylish chicken coop I have ever seen. I bet those fresh eggs will be great. Talk about self-sufficiency . . .

shari said...

So Cute!! I love the roof and the shakes. It is so you to have painted the inside.

The Happy Haynie Family said...

You really did it! Fabulous! Where there is a will there IS a way!

Sandy said...

WOW!!! Those will some very lucky chickens!

kg said...

Wow!! Totally impressed...can't wait to see your next project!

Debbie said...

Can I come live in your chicken coop? haha seriously- that is amazing, Dawn! I'm not joking when I say we're going to hire you to be our interior designer and landscaper whenever we build a house.