Sunday, January 4

Taking a break

Shawn and I worked out on the land all weekend,
I have the backache to prove it.
We were working at the front of the land, and I noticed how very different everything looks now with all the leaves and vines gone.
I grabbed my camera because these are some of the things I fell in love with instantly the very first time we came to see the land.
I have no idea what this machinery actually is, but it has been here so long the trees have grown completely around/through it.

All these photos are taken on a sweet path between our silo and my parents' land.


This area is usually so thick with wonderful green, it looks so different, yet so gorgeous this time of year too!



This is some of the wood on the side of the barn that is so unique because it was obviously salvaged from a sign of some sort.

This is to the side of the barn between us and our neighbors. We are going to plant our garden here in the Spring. Shawn has big plans for raised beds full of veggies. I hope to eventually (probably not this year), plant pumpkins and gourds along the back of the barn for the nieces and nephews to come out and have a great selection. I also want a rustic picket fence around this whole sight, one that will soon age to be as old and fabulously decrepit looking as the barn.


This photo is a tad embarrassing but EVENTUALLY this will be the potting nook. We'll have tons of storage, a sink, potting benches, etc. Shawn just looked over and asked, "Why in the world did you take a picture of that awful sight?" I have just assured him that it is the ultimate BEFORE photo, grin.

We planted this little 'FatAlbert' blue spruce by the barn. It is teeeeeniny!!! But this is our 'Barn Tree', and each Christmas we will decorate it and have a Barn Tree Trimmin' party and we will be able to document it growing into a REAL tree.


Of course the ornaments have to be outside hardy. This year we did jingle bells, little pinecones, and these little wood 'coins'. We cut them from a birch branch and they were so cute. My sil also said she did this with cedar branches... those would be so breathtaking... may have to try that next year.
Thanks for hanging in there with my Novel post.
I just love this land... bet you couldn't guess that little tidbit!

8 comments:

Jude and Ashley said...

Dawn, I love looking at your blog and seeing your craftiness and ideas come alive. I am a total lurker to your blog every now and then. Hope you don't mind. =)

Karen said...

You live in a beautiful place of the world. How fun.

Lisha said...

I love that little fat albert, and the name makes me smile every time!

Cari said...

I love your place. I love that my kids are going to get to have so many cool experiences yet I don't have to tend the animals or land. Ha! It is the best of both worlds!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see more of your ideas come alive! Looks like a great place to work with! :) I love the country!

Debbie said...

I'm with Cari! I'm glad that we'll get to enjoy the beauty of your land without all the work as well.. hehe

kg said...

Oooh. I can't wait to get my camera on this land!! And I want a tour of your house!

Wendyrful said...

Dawn,

Wow! what a place! seeing that old machinery and such makes me think of old times at my grandparents farm...
thanks for the little trip down memory lane. ;-)
Love the idea of the barn tree and the decorating party each year and keeping track of growth. What a fun 'tradition'.