Monday, December 29

Unwavering firmness of character, actions, and/or will....

WHEW!!! aka, Resolution!
I've always made New Year's Resolutions, and for the past several years I've organized them into 4
categories, and they all start with 'F'
*****
Faith
I want to focus on my two teenagers for FHEs. Savannah is turning 14 and will be going to dances and youth conferences, Christian will be turning 13. Our 2009 FHE topic will be Obedience, and I am going to use For the Strength of Youth pamplet and Conference addresses as resources. Also, we will be doing one FHE a month on Food Storage/Emergency Preparedness.
*****
Family
We have been wanting to have a family service project for a while now. I have been researching different ideas and we have finally chosen a path! Background... Shawn had the opportunity while we were in Dental School, to serve 2 Service Missions to Honduras. He went each time and gave free dental care to the people there, under extremely harsh conditions I might add. He fell in love with the country and the people he served. He saw such poverty there and has never forgotten them.
So I was able to find a Christian organization that serves Honduras, and specifically helps children get medical care, schooling, and daily necessities. They also arrange frequent visits with the child/children you sponsor. That means in the future, we could take a family trip to see the child we sponsor. So we have 'adopted' a little 6 yr old girl named Heidy. We will help her family to see that she gets what she needs to grow healthy and recieve the schooling needed to go on to college or vocation school. We are so stinking excited about this as a family, we have already written her and sent photos and will hear back from her soon.
*****
Frivolous
This probably doesn't sound frivolous to most, but this is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Since I am quite dedicated to my resolutions, I figured this was my best bet to get this wish DONE. I want to participate in a 5k in 2009, hopefully with my whole family. It may be the Rudolph Run next December, sense I have a long way to go to get in shape, but I am gonna do it nonetheless!!!
*****
Forsake
Surprisingly this category is usually the one that makes the biggest difference in my life. I am supposed to edit something from my life or my way of 'doing things', something that is causing unnecessary stress or worry.
Well, I can be an 'idealist'. NOT a perfectionist mind you... if I want to something, I tend to not even attempt it unless I can do it to my standard of 'ideal'! Since we have moved into our home, I have been resistant to have parties, visitors, friends, etc, over because quite simply...this place is a tad bit of a mess!
But the fact is that it will be years before all my dreams are realized and I just can't stall LIVING HERE any longer. I want to have lots of get togethers!!! Ward Campouts! 24th of July Parties! Etc, etc, etc.
And I have promised Shawn I won't apologize obsessively about the mud, and vines, and weeds, and potholes, and puddles, and, and, and!
This land and house are amazing AS IS, and will only continue to improve... and I am going to try and focus on the gradual changes that will now be noticed by my friends and family... because they will be over here often enough to NOTICE them, grin.
*****
So there they are!!
I'm very optimistic and bazaarly that 'frivolous' one has me the most daunted... but I am just stubborn enough, this should work!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the 4 "F's"! The frivolous one is a good one to do! Good luck with your resolutions! :)

Beth said...

Good luck! I know how you feel about weaning Madi! Addie still sleeps in our bedroom... hehe.

Debbie said...

That is really awesome, Dawn! Jared and I have talked about wanting to do some family service project each year but have yet to really think of something. and you're right- your house and land are wonderful the way they are and will only continue to get better. We haven't invited friends over to hang out at our house as much as I would like because I feel like our house is just too small. I kept thinking it could wait until we got into a bigger house, but it looks like we'll be staying here a bit longer, so I need to just stop the excuses and have people over even if we're all cozy and crammed together :-)