Sunday, November 9

Bart and Jenne

I never knew I would grow up to collect Donkeys!
We first fell in love with our two miniatures, Ms. Molly and Eeyore.
Then I recieved an email from a fellow mini donkey owner, that there were two donkeys that needed rescuing.
Shawn and I set out one Saturday to take a look. The minute I saw them, I knew I was quite possibly in over my head. There was obvious abuse and neglect.
Savannah was not with us because I thought I would not be able to make a rational decision with her there.
Little did I know, I was the one that could not be trusted.
Jenne is our little blonde gal. I felt immediately that she had something very basic wrong with her, possibly weened way too soon when she was a newborn or something like that.
My neighbor told me that she thought we had gotten a llama, that is how pitiful this little donkey looked!
But I felt in my heart, that Savannah would love her to pieces and give Jenne
every bit of pampering she needed... and I was right!
So this is my fearless daugher and her future Blonde Bombshell!
If I am in a teasing mood, I refer to Jenne as our 'Ugly Donkling', I find this quite creative and hilarious..... Savannah?!?... not so much!

Jenne and Bart both still have their infant fur, and they are starting to get their winter coat too. Savannah gave Jenne a mane 'chopping' shortly after we got her... lets just say she needs a little more practice!
And here is Black Bart! He has been sorely abused in the past and has the scars to prove it. Breaks my heart, truly! He is skiddish and very wary but I can always tell when Savannah is in site of Bart, he EEEAAAAWWWWs and gets so very excited. He always sticks out his nose for a kiss! In addition to Bart's beautiful 'nativity' cross on his back, he also has 'tiger stripes' on his legs. I've never seen this before! So very beautiful!

Notice his ears, hilarious!! When a donkeys ears are forward they are concentrating or listening for something. Straight up like this is excitement. When their ears are laying flat back... well, lets just say you better not be standing behind them!
Bart also adores Jenne. He is very distressed if she is not near him. Jenne can play hard to get, quite aloof, this only serves to drive Bart crazy.
Jenne is a wise gal, I say!!!

4 comments:

danakat said...

I never thought I would say this...those are beautiful donkeys. Really. And I love all that fur and that you also have a daughter who adores animals.

Karen said...

I am glad to here that those donkies are still with you. I was worried. They are cute but not nearly as cute as S. Know she's gorgeous.

kmmclain said...

They are so lucky to have come into your family. Isn't it amazing what a lot of love can do to an injured soul. Way to go Savannah!

On another note, have you seen the willow tree nativity set? At this site www.quiltedbear.com they are selling the nativity with two sheep and a donkey for $160 while supplies last. I remembered how you liked them, and thought I'd let you know. The set includes these items:
Gentle Animals of the Stable
Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus
Sanctuary Displayer
I hope you can find them. I went to the quilted bear site, and typed in the items.
Enjoy!

Cari said...

I think Noah might run a close 3rd to you and Savannah in the love for these donkeys department. You just get as many animals as you want and I will send Noah over to supplement any love they need.