Wednesday, September 17

aaarrrrrrrrghhhhh

That's me trying to 'sound' like a pirate, cause at the moment I 'feel' like one... minus the fancy eye patch with the skull/xbones! I was feeding the donkeys some leaves yesterday and had a mishap. I was holding a bundle of branches and Ms. Molly got a little excited and grabbed an entire branch out of my arms and the end of the branch flipped up and tagged my right eye!
I was taken to my knees by an unprovoked donkey attack, it was brutal, I fought through the pain, pulled myself back to the house on hands and knees... struggling, grasping to hope....
OK, so I was taken 'out' by a tree branch. OUCH! It was an instant take down, complete surrendor to the tears that poured from my eye. I did manage to walk back to the house fine. But I spent the next hour desperately trying to open my eye to see what could be causing so much pain! No success!
Shawn got home from work, and I was a true mess by then. Didn't know the eye was capable of pouring out so much water and it continued to gush. By that point I was convinced that if I had something in my eye, surely the tears would have washed them away by then, so I feared a scratch of some sort. Shawn was finally able to crank my lid open long enough to see a definite scratch.
Dr. Cliff Stratton to the rescue. Blessing for us that he was still in his office when we called. My whining all the way to his office made the trip downright miserable for Shawn but he was such a tolerant hubby, love that guy! Dr. Stratton had some miracle drops that numbed by eye, whew, instant relief, and that allowed me to actually open my eye for the first time in 2 hours. Yep, it was a scratch on my cornea. But nothing more serious, thank goodness. But the doc couldn't give me any miracle drops to heal the scratch in 10 seconds like I was hoping, I've just gotta be a big girl and wait it out.
This morning I still can't open my eye. My kids think I look funny, glad I can at least be entertaining in my pain, now thats a good mommy, huh?! I'm taking pain medicine and applying a bag of frozen corn... I was a little bit rebellious because Dr. Stratton suggested frozen peas, giggle, but I have bags of frozen corn in my freezer, so wild and crazy as it may be... I shall be a rebel, here with my little bag of corn!
So, in the end, I shall indeed survive, it was iffy there for a little while. Dr. Stratton PROMISED me, no pressure doc, that I should be all healed in a few day... may get worse before it gets better, but better is the ultimate goal.
PS - I still very much love my Ms. Molly, she apologized to me and begged for my forgiveness, which I granted immediately with a bucket of sweet feed. All is well, er, uh, well, it WILL be well when I can quit walking around like 'one-eyed Jack' or more amusing...'Pirate Jack'!

10 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Dawn, this is a wild story, and you are a very good sport. I hope your eye heals quickly and that you will feel comfortable soon. Why don't you post a picture? (joking)

kmmclain said...

Oh the mishaps of farm life. Those scratches on the eye can be quite painful. I hope you are on the mend quickly!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Heath had a really bad scratch (it was deep and the from top to bottom)in his eye and it healed really quickly! So maybe it'll be just as fast for ya!

Glad the donkey is still on your good list! At least good for her! :)

Beth said...

That is wild! Hope your eye heals soon!!!

shari said...

Oh Dawn! I had a mishap with my eye last year working in my yard. I know your pain. It is almost passs out unbearable. Who would think a little scratch could be so very painful? It will get better. Take care.

The Happy Haynie Family said...

Remember when we played indoor soccer and I got wacked in the eye with the ball? The doctor still sees a scar on my retina when I go for a checkup!!

Hope your eye heals quickly...

MaioCampo said...

When I scratched my eye I was about 11 or 12. I was convinced that something had broke because the danged thing wouldn't stop watering... and hurt like the dickens.

Of course the yellow eye-drops that turned my eye yellow and the gauze and tape eye-patch made up for it... even though I did have to miss a Saturday's worth of cartoons because the doctor said I shouldn't watch television with one eye.

No worries... you'll be up and running again in a couple of days. You might want to start wearing safety glasses when feeding the kids, er the animals, as well. Heh, heh.

Lisha said...

Oh gosh, I guess this doesn't touch the poison ivy mishap a couple months back, huh?!!! Hope you feel better soon, I can't even imagine the pain and discomfort!

Kim Mayfield said...

OUCH!!!
Hope you are feeling better soon. I think we have an old eye patch from a Halloween costume around here somewhere if you need to borrow it. I can have Megan decorate it for you so it won't be so plain!

Lacey Freeman said...

OUCH!!! I hope you get better soon!!