Thursday, April 2

Naked Egg?! Scandalous!!

Here's another experiment you've GOT to try. It is meant to show the strength of membranes... but that sounds boring... so I call it the Naked Egg Eggs-periment, laughter!

What you need:
*Clear jar or glass with a wide mouth (to fit the egg inside)
*Lid or cover for the jar/glass
*Raw egg
*Clear vinegar

Place the egg in a jar and fill with enough vinegar to completely cover the egg. Notice the bubbles on the egg. Cover the jar and allow it to react for three to five days, watching for changes in the appearance and number of bubbles on the egg. When the shell is dissolved, rinse carefully under water in the palm of your hand and look at and feel what is left.

What Happened?
The outer shell of the egg is made of calcium carbonate. Vinegar reacts with calcium carbonate to produce carbon dioxide, which is the gas in the bubbles that form on the surface of the egg (like the bubbles in soda pop). As the vinegar dissolves the outer shell, the cell membrane (rubbery layer that surrounds the inside of the egg) is exposed. The membrane lets water in, but does not react to the acid from the vinegar. The yolk and egg white (albumen) stay safe inside the membrane. You now have a 'naked' egg.

Additional experiment:
Put the 'naked' egg in water for one day. How does the size and shape change.

This is amazing, goooey, gross FUN!! Enjoy!!

9 comments:

Mike and Carrie said...

Cool! Can't wait to try it.

Jenni said...

I did that when I homeschooled too! It was neat. Try it with a chicken bone - the bone turns rubbery after a few days!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

WOW...CHASE WILL LOVE THIS!

Jessica said...

I remember when we used to do that in Science classes. It is pretty neat.

Lisha said...

That sounds so cool, we are going to give it a whirl!

Birdie said...

I'm so trying this. I know I'm 25 and love stuff like this. I just hope my cats don't knock the glass over and eat the egg!

Lacey Freeman said...

I remember doing this...isn't the egg bouncy? I remember when I did it the egg could bounce around.

Theresa Cyr said...

This sounds like a great science experiment that my stepsons could try. It made me think back to when I had cockatiels. One pair had babies, and had laid three eggs. After a certain amount of time, I was told to check to see if I had any duds by holding the eggs before a flashlight or light bulb. Doing so allowed me to see if the chick was growing inside or if the egg was a blank (no pun intended) Thanks for sharing your naked egg experiment!!!

Lisa said...

Pretty neat! Thanks for the idea!!