Wednesday, April 15

the GOOD, BAD, and UGLY

I'll start with the GOOD, that is always a good place to start!

We finally have a fence along the front of our property line. I just love the classic 4-rail farm fencing. Hopefully now our visitors can actually find our entrance. Soon we will be painting the fence white since the sun is too ruthless and the fence would never stay looking this good in its natural state. So thrilled to have this part done. Eventually (I use this word ALOT), this same 4-rail fencing will be around most of our property. Except for our little path to the neighbors... I hope that will always stay wide open for kids to run back and forth with ease and of course, animals and 4wheelers too.


Here are some shots of plantings I have started near the entrance of the property. Everything seems to be coming back beautifully. This is a Bloodgood Japanese Maple.



In several locations around the land, there are wild dogwood trees. They are huge and I love how architectural they grow when they have to fend for themselves in the wild.

Do you remember the Coral Bark trees I planted last fall in the circular drive island? Only one survived. These can be real tricky for me to keep alive. So I decided to move this lone survivor to a different location and it seems real happy here. The bark is an amazing color and the leaves stay this chartreuse color.

And I'll finish with my Ginkgo trees I also planted in the fall. They seem to be adapting well. I love these for their leaf shape and their fall color... shocking yellow!!


Sadly, this brings me to the BAD part of the post. We were robbed! Thankfully it was just our old Barn and not our home. So far we have only noticed the chainsaw missing. We usually have everything locked inside the stalls but we got relaxed and we are now regretting it. I can't even tell you how much my sweetheart loved his chainsaw. We use if for everything!!!

And what makes the loss of the chainsaw so BAD... is the following UGLY. We had quite a bit of damage during the recent storms.




During a storm this winter, at this same location, we lost a huge cedar that almost took out our silo. These trees are very compromised as they have grown up around some old equipment. There were a total of 4 cedars in this location, one already gone, another fell, another going very crooked, and I think we will just go ahead and cut the remaining cedar before it falls onto something we would rather NOT be flattened. But for now, this work will have to wait until we can budget another chainsaw. The kids are getting very tired of me reminding them to stay away from the fallen trees EVERYTIME they exit the front door, but I worry.

I can't end a post on such a downer, so we have more good news. It seems one of our goats is due to have a baby/babies in less than 48 hours. We adore Amelia and pray all goes well for her and her little ones. Savannah is so nervous and excited, she has hoped for this since we lost our baby goat Madi this winter. I'll keep you posted. I am now officially stepping away from this novel of a post!

7 comments:

Beth said...

I worried about you all during the last storm. I heard it was out that way and hit pretty hard. I'm so glad you and house are safe! That stinks about being robbed. We were also robbed this past week!!! They stole a pressure washer that we had BORROWED!!! NOT cool, unfortunatley we can't wait until this fits in our budget as it wasn't ours...

Lisha said...

Fence is beautiful, bummer about everything else. :( Guess you have a fun place to plant more trees soon. Nate had a chainsaw...

Theresa Cyr said...

Last April, during our April break from school, our goat had her first baby. We were hoping to witness the birth, but just missed it. My oldest went to check on Kate and came back running that she had had the baby. It was her first, so she only had one. We don't have her anymore, but we've heard that she has recently had a set of twins.

That's too bad about the burglary and the damage from the storms. However, I LOVE your fencing! It's so well done and classy. Congrad's on that.

MaioCampo said...

Hmm.

A friend at work jumped in his car to head to work Monday morning and happened to notice his view was different. Two cedars that typically stood next to his car had both fallen into the neighbor's yard, barely missing that house.

He ended up being late because he had to get two huge cedars out of his neighbor's yard.

A few more folks at work were talking about losing cedars. This just wasn't a very nice storm in which to be a cedar. :)

The Happy Haynie Family said...

I LOVE your property! Sorry we didn't get by to visit the last time we were in Alabama...

Sandy said...

I just hate that you got robbed! I know those men love their power tools. But glad all of you are safe!
Maybe the wood from the Cedar can be saved to build something, it's such good wood.

danakat said...

I adore the fence!
Love all your foilage. (That's just a fun word to say.)
And Oh No! about the theft. Kinda scary they took a chainsaw! Eeek.
Glad you all were safe during the storm in your beautiful home.