Tuesday, March 17

my EYE... has a BONE in it ?!??

NO ONE expects a mother to use REAL words or even medical terms in the thick of panic... do they???

Yesterday, Ty was trying to strap down a box for me with a bungee strap. He was doing a great job and was pulling the strap tight to hook it... and SNAP! I have never heard that kind of scream come out of one of my children.
Ty was doubled over, holding his eye and I could not get him to release his grip so I could see what happened. Later, I found out from my older son that I kept asking... 'did it hit your eye OR your eye bone...' over and over again. Don't remember doing this, but I trust in my irrational frightened state, I could have about said anything.

Finally, Ty was able to show me where the hook on the strap hit him. Just seconds after impact it was a tiny split in the skin... but it immediately puffed out and looked horrible. So very relieved that this morning we are only dealing with a black eye and not something worse!



Last night as Ty was getting ready for bed, he told me that he had not realized before that his eye had a BONE it. Hence, Christian needing to explain what I was saying during the ordeal.

So I guess I need to freshen up on the names of the facial bones. Our friend Dr. Stratton could clarify, I'm sure!! I know the forehead bone is the 'frontal bone', right? I know there is a bone closer to the cheek called the zygomatic, I think. Probably TOTALLY showing my ignorance here... what else is new! SO, Doc... at what point does the frontal bone meet the zygomatic bone and looking at the photo... what bone did Ty actually hit???!
Until I receive further info... I shall call it 'the EYE BONE'.

I promise to brush up on my Human Anatomy before my children take in for homeschool, grrr.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor kid! I am glad it wasn't the eye and that aside from a black eye he is fine!

I had a friend that lost an eye trying to hold something down with a bungee! Yikes!

Cari said...

Those things are dangerous. I am always scared when I use them. SO GLAD nothing worse happened.

Beth said...

Poor little man! He is still stinking adorable even with his bruised eye bone. Seriously, he is one cute kid!

Sarah said...

Poor Ty!! Good thing he didn't break his "eye bone"-Grin. I needed to smile today! Thanks

Theresa Cyr said...

Poor kid. He's lucky he didn't get his eye! The eye bone, I think, is a great term to use. It's simple and clear as to which part of your face you're referring to. Don't worry about sounding ignorant, I have no clue what the names of the facial bones are.

Karen said...

Now I feel really bad for him. Glad it is just a black eye. But I have to say that I did chuckle just a little bit about you in hysteria. Been there so many times and can just relate.

MaioCampo said...

Ow!

I've gotten a hand in the way of one of those things popping and it caught some fingers.

Tyger... I'm now rubbing the fingers remembering that pain and the eye bone feeling your pain. Heh, heh.

Birdie said...

Ouch!! I found a link for you
http://faculty.tcc.fl.edu/scma/mccrackenb/lbld_skull_orbit_detail.jpg
shows you the bones of the orbit (eye). You are right on the zygomatic bone and frontal bone! Pretty smart mama!

Debbie said...

Poor Ty! That is so scary! I must admit though that I had to laugh a few sentences in when I started to realize how confused he must have been when he asked you that. However, I don't think you were wrong in what you said--like he would have understood it any easier if you had used the proper medical term!!