Sunday, November 8

No stone Unturned

Christian is my child that experiences everything. He loves new things, is not easily intimidated, and is always 'up' for anything. When he was a toddler I had a HUGE learning curve with him. I could not reason with him like I easily did with Savannah.

Christian often learned things the hard way. After months and months of trying to convince him that he was going to hurt himself climbing on the back of the couch... he had to learn by falling off... taking a lamp, answering machine, phone, and side table down with him in a mess of brokenness. Then, and only then, would he point to the back of the couch and simply say, "ouch".

Another example was how he would run full speed across the yard and plunge into his little blownup swimming pool. He would come up choking and sputtering. I tried to tell him to plug his nose before leaping in... but NO!! How could he get the needed 'lift off' to create the maximum splash in the pool if he had to have one hand plugging his nose! And so he continued to half drown himself that whole summer. That ever present dilemma of motherhood of knowing when to step in and prevent... vs. get out of the way and allow your child to experience. It never ends with this son.

But I have learned that the flip side to this is that he enjoys things to the fullest! The most mundane things are a thrill for him. He finds the interesting aspect to anything. He looks at things and sees a creative spin, or a new approach, a joy in the process.

I can honestly say that the day I had Christian... I was transformed into a better mother. I get him. Seriously. I love to watch him be. Christian formally tests in the genius levels, but he is an 'outside the box' thinker and I can't wait to see what he attempts with his future.

My heart flips when I see Christian. He makes me laugh more than any one thing can in my life. He challenges me to enjoy things and not simply react... does that make sense? I love this boy to the point that it takes my breath away.

This week Christian needed to learn all aspects of laundry care for a Boy Scout requirement.

Simple... right?

Not.

Cause he's got to truly understand all the ins and outs. Look at the ingredients of the Spray and Wash bottle and try to formulate, in his mind, why its able to accomplish its goal of stain removal.

Don't laugh!

Seriously, this is how Christian absorbs any speck of knowledge in his life.

So, imagine my exhaustion when we finally arrived at the end of this Laundry 101 Lesson.
Seeing him ironing his clothes, knowing that another life experience is now filed away in that brilliant mind of his. Knowing that as he uses this skill in the future, time and time again... that it will never be mundane, cause nothing in Christian's life is mundane.

And I don't even mind that he had a chance to turn the tables and laugh at me for once... as I quietly started humming... "I hope they call me on a mission"... moms gotta plant those little seeds whenever they can, Right?

10 comments:

Beth said...

The ingredients? Really? I never even considered looking at them...lol!!! I can't wait to see what he chooses as his "profession" when he's older.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Dawn, I can't read your text. Have you changed anything with the last two posts? (I really like the pictures, though. :))

Sandy said...

What a wonderful child. He's something special. I know great things are going to become of this child. Oh that we could all have that zest for life and the mundane things of life.

Sandy said...

PS: I can't read it either Dawn. I have to highlight to read text. It seems the background isn't working right.

Sandy said...

Still no difference as of about 7:30pm. It just stays white. But the pictures show up. You can't read the Post words at all unless you highlight them. Hmmm, not sure what the problem is.

The Happy Haynie Family said...

I also can't read it unless it is highlighted...kinda a pain. But your post are worth the work!

Love that Christian! I have a few like him!

You need to visit my blog. I need your email to invite you...

mom2eight said...

thank goodness it wasn't just me that couldn't read the written part. I too figured out to highlight it to read it. Great post when you figure out how to read it.

danakat said...

Yay! I can read it again...and it is more than worth the wait!
The way you describe Christian and your feelings about him is heartwarming and beautiful. You make me want to be a better mother...to not just react. You're pretty awesome. Anyone ever tell you that?

Carly A said...

What a boy... I mean man. Does he want to come to California and practice laundry some more? I've got some nice blowout stains he could try to remove!

Mandy said...

This post made me cry - isn't it amazing that Heavenly Father blesses us with these beautiful creatures and then allows us to experience life through their eyes - totally new every day! I love it!